10. Watching the Olympics for two weeks and realizing that the majority of the athletes aren’t old enough to legally have a beer in America (not that they would– training and all).
9. Thinking about the start of school this year and realizing that the incoming freshmen were born in the year I was married: 1998. I was tasting champagne at midnight while they were making messes in their pants.
8. Going out for a drink with friends who are ten-ish years younger than I am. Everyone at the table gets carded… but me.
7. Getting on an elevator in the medical building on the way to yet another doctor’s appointment, and hearing the instrumental version of “Brass in Pocket.” Realizing the music that set me apart from my parents is now furnishing the elevator airwaves.
6. Walking into Macy’s and wanting so desperately to try on a checkered patterned skirt, but abstaining because the length is too short for women of my age. (Unless you are on the Real Housewives of Any City– those women have no shame.)
5. Going out to a “hot spot” on a date with my husband. Pulling in the parking lot we realize it is kind of a ghost town, but we decide to go in any way. After ordering a round of drinks, Tom pays and says to the bartender, “Slow night, tonight?” She looks at him awkwardly and says, “We never get busy until after ten o-clock, you’ll see.” I look at my watch; it’s 7:30. We don’t make it until 10:00 to see.
4. Not being able to go through a checkout without the cashier saying, “Thank you Ma’am, have a nice day.”
3. Discussing the upcoming football season and joking how grandpa to the sport, Bret Favre, would probably do more for the Cleveland Browns than Colt McCoy or Brandon Weeden. Googling him, I realize he’s only three months older than I am.
2. Having the roof recently replaced on the garage makes me feel giddy! No vacation this year, no new extravagant piece of wardrobe or jewelery– just a roof to make my heart go pitter-patter.
1. Knowing that the possible next Vice President of the United States, Paul Ryan, and I are the same age. (And thinking that reason enough to vote against him!)