Okay, so maybe that’s not exactly true. I would love a lavish vacation sans the kids to Bora Bora, but because of the kids and the ridiculous expense that they are, that is an impossibility. This year, because of home repairs and some unexpected bills, we chose to staycation Tom’s week off of work. To be honest, I think we had just as much fun as we have had on long trips out-of-state. We slept in, ate out, and saw some of the greatest sites in the Cleveland area.
Here are the TOP FIVE Staycation spots to visit to take in the flavor of Cleveland.
1. The Cleveland Metroparks Zoo: Probably one of the best zoos in the nation, it sprawls 165 acres in the heart of the city, and it offers animals from all over the world. One can spend all day traversing the entire zoo, or just a few hours in favorite areas like The Australian Adventure, The Northern Trek, or the Rainforest. Family friendly– bring in your own picnic lunch if you choose.
2. The Great Lakes Science Center and Mather Museum: A gem on Lake Erie, the GLSC is comprised of three floors of interactive exhibits that make science come to life. Children have a chance to develop a real love of science while enjoying themselves in the process. Each day, the GLSC also has “scientists” teach a lesson in a fun and unique way to kids of all ages.
The Mather is a steamship parked right outside. You can go into the haul and see how the ship was powered or take a walk through the Captain’s quarters or the galley.
3. The Cleveland Museum of Art: located in the Wade Park District, in the University Circle neighborhood on Cleveland’s east side, the Cleveland Museum of Art hosts some forty galleries of art, paintings, jewelery, and relics from all over the world. It is truly awe-inspiring to see ancient Egyptian sculptures in one gallery and paintings by the likes of Picasso, Rembrandt, and Van Gogh in another. It is absolutely free to walk through the main galleries of the museum.
4. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame: We Clevelanders are proud that Allen Freed coined the term “Rock and Roll!” We truly believe we are the birthplace of rock and roll. Thus, it is imperative on a trip to Cleveland to visit the Rock Hall to learn how music evolved. From the Beatles to the Beastie Boys, the greatest of the greatest are represented and revered.
5. The West Side Market: To take in the locals and enjoy the flavors of local grown foods, The West Side Market is a must! Whether craving beef or blueberries, a vendor is available to sell you the freshest and most satisfying fresh foods in town.
Anyone who lives in a major metropolis can find enough to do to make a staycation worthwhile. With a little investigation, you can come to appreciate your city on a whole new level and see why tourists come to town. Tom and I did not even get to do all of the things we wanted with the girls, which makes me think we will staycation happily again.
Every city has places like these to visit. We don’t always enjoy where we are because we are yearning to go someplace else. Next time you plan a vacation, think about staying home, saving on a hotel and travel, and experiencing the richness in your own backyard. You will have just as much fun when you do!